Travelling is all about experiencing new and exciting things.
Here are 18 that occurred, in order, in the 18 hours beginning with me walking through the departure gate at Auckland International Airport.
1) Crying while walking through a metal detector.
2) Crying while eating Burger King.
3) Crying while undergoing a randomly selected TSA search.
4) Being comforted by a TSA agent (I thought they weren't human?)
5) Being upgraded to a skycouch.
6) Not enjoying said skycouch because of THIS.
In case you can't see, that is A SLEEPING OLD MAN'S HAND FLOPPING THROUGH THE SEATS.
7) Being told 'Welcome Home' at US Customs because of my American passport.
8) Answering 'Thank you, it's good to be back' in an American accent before I could stop myself.
9) Eating an In'N'Out Burger (it's amazing).
10) Walking in LA. NOBODY WALKS OVER HERE. I walked for over an hour and passed two people on the footpath.
11) Riding the metro.
12) Riding the metro in the wrong direction.
13) Riding the metro next to a man with 'LA' tattooed on his face.
14) Getting off at Compton station to change trains. The man with face tattoos also got off there and kindly told me which train I was supposed to be on.
15) Riding the bus.
16) Asking many people for directions.
17) Realising no one knows where anything is.
18) Ending my 18 hour journey at my couchsurfing hosts' place with Papa Johns and a Coors beer.